Increasing debate on mental health in recent years has yielded some worrying insight into the wellbeing of the UK’s staff, with research stating that one in three employees now struggles with issues such as depression and stress in their working lives.
But how do the entrepreneurs themselves feel? Constant messages demanding that we never give up, and the relentlessly competitive nature of running a business, mean business leaders are more likely to work longer hours, take fewer breaks and keep pushing for opportunities to grow.
Amid this rather tenacious culture, concern for executives’ mental wellbeing hardly gets a look in, and this can have fatal implications for how the business teams operate and perform.
Our Mental Health in Entrepreneurship survey gauges the experiences of over 100 business leaders around mental health. While we’re not specialists, our aim is to raise a flag on profoundly important issues that often go unnoticed.
By doing this, we hope to spark debate on how to create more caring and health- conscious working cultures that will bring sustained benefits for our entrepreneurs, the teams they lead and the businesses they build.
We asked 100 entrepreneurs the following questions to see how important personal wellbeing is personally, and for their employees:
- How important is the mental wellbeing of your employees to the business?
- What steps does your business take to improve the mental wellbeing of your employees?
- How many hours do you work on the business per day outside of standard office hours?
- How many hours do you work on an average day inside the office and out?
- Does your organisation have a dedicated mental health policy?
- How often should an organisation review its mental health policy?
- Do you consider your own mental wellbeing to be as important as your employees?
- What steps do you take to improve your own mental wellbeing in the workplace?
- Do you think running a business has negatively or positively impacted your mental health?
- How would you describe your current mental wellbeing in general?
- How high are your stress levels on an average working day?
- Do you currently suffer with any of the following mental health problems?